Une Anglo-Saxonne A Paris

Monday 23 April 2007

CNBC, LCP


After Segolene's victory rally had petered out, I thought I'd been able to easily grab a cab home. But it was one of those nights. Each time I saw a taxi with its light on, either someone got there before me, or when I said I wanted to go to the 20th, the cab driver shook his head and drove off. Eventually I gave up and called a cab. Waiting my Madeleine for it to arrive, I was offered a lift from a man who obviously thought I was a prostitute.
'Non merci,' I said to him, holding up my computer in an attempt to show him there could be other reasons for girls to hang out alone on street corners at 2 am.
About four hours after I got home, Donato called to get me out of bed for my first appointment of the day. I was booked to talk about my book on CNBC's Squawk Box Europe with Geoff Cutmore at 8h20. Live in front of the Eiffel Tower.
'You were bellisima,' said Donato, who watched from Italy.
Afterwards I walked in beautiful sunshine away from the Champs de Mars across the Esplanade des Invalides to the studios of La Chaine Parliamentaire, right in the heart of the National Assembly. I debated the foreign reaction to last night's results with Ted Stanger, author of Sacres Francais!, a best-selling dissection of French life by a fellow Anglo-Saxon. And more delighted still to hear he'd heard of my book!

No comments: