Une Anglo-Saxonne A Paris

Thursday 30 November 2006

Russian van man

There is money to be made in France for those who want it.
I found myself alone on place de la Nation holding a glass door that I had ordered over two months ago for my bathroom. I had been abandoned by the taxi driver I'd booked to take us both back to my apartment. Luckily Donato was nearby.
After 20 minutes on the phone to the taxi company, we were told that the four drivers capable of transporting my door were not interested in making money. We decided to return to the shop. They agreed to deliver the door, but it would take another week. Which would mean Donato wouldn’t be there to install it.
Against the advice of mio amore, I decided to chance my luck.
We returned to place de la Nation and I left him with the door. I approached the first white van I spotted and proposed to pay him 50 euros to take me, Donato, and my glass door up the hill.
‘No problem,’ he said.
‘You idiot,’ said Donato when we got home. ‘You offered him way too much money.’

No comments: